Peterborough City Hospital prepares to open its doors to first patients
HEALTH services for Fenland residents will be boosted by Peterborough’s new City Hospital, which will open to its first patients on Monday.
Construction of the 612-bed hospital in Bretton Gate was completed in early October - three months ahead of the original schedule.
It will open its doors on Monday, with Peterborough Maternity Unit and the accident and emergency department of Peterborough District Hospital to transfer there by early December.
The new hospital is part of the �335 million Greater Peterborough Health Investment Plan, which has also provided the City Care Centre on Thorpe Road and the Cavell Centre.
It is one of the largest privately financed building initiatives undertaken within the National Health Service, spanning 95,000 square metres - the equivalent of 13 Wembley football pitches.
You may also want to watch:
The hospital, financed by Progress Health and built by Brookfield Construction, contains 18 operating theatres, a critical care unit, an emergency centre and an expanded cardiac unit.
It will also offer services for patients not previously available in Peterborough - with cancer patients no longer having to journey to hospitals further afield for radiotherapy.
- 1 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 2 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 6 Bullying and insider trader claims pile up against former deputy leader
- 7 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 8 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 9 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 10 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
For a further look inside the hospital visit www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs.uk and take a virtual tour.