Peterborough City Hospital prepares to open its doors to first patients
HEALTH services for Fenland residents will be boosted by Peterborough’s new City Hospital, which will open to its first patients on Monday.
Construction of the 612-bed hospital in Bretton Gate was completed in early October - three months ahead of the original schedule.
It will open its doors on Monday, with Peterborough Maternity Unit and the accident and emergency department of Peterborough District Hospital to transfer there by early December.
The new hospital is part of the �335 million Greater Peterborough Health Investment Plan, which has also provided the City Care Centre on Thorpe Road and the Cavell Centre.
It is one of the largest privately financed building initiatives undertaken within the National Health Service, spanning 95,000 square metres - the equivalent of 13 Wembley football pitches.
You may also want to watch:
The hospital, financed by Progress Health and built by Brookfield Construction, contains 18 operating theatres, a critical care unit, an emergency centre and an expanded cardiac unit.
It will also offer services for patients not previously available in Peterborough - with cancer patients no longer having to journey to hospitals further afield for radiotherapy.
- 1 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 6 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 7 Max and Chloe become pioneers of community housing success in Cambs village
- 8 Welcome to Whittlesey - the new UK hotspot for kite surfing?
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
For a further look inside the hospital visit www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs.uk and take a virtual tour.