Three day visit by Archbishop of Canterbury to Peterborough - in words and photos
- Credit: Archant
The Archbishop of Canterbury described his three day visit to the Diocese of Peterborough as “amazing”.
The Most Revd Justin Welby was in the diocese meeting people and visiting church projects throughout Peterborough.
His visit took in a walkabout and a chat with shoppers at Queensgate Shopping Centre, as well as a trip to Garden House, a day centre for rough sleepers within the cathedral grounds.
He also popped into the chapel gym in Corby which aims to help local people physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. The Archbishop took part in some boxing there and really got into the swing of things!
Archbishop Justin visited the Faizan E Madinah Mosque, where he met members of the community there, addressed a breakfast with business leaders from Peterborough (which you can listen to here) and spoke at a supper with faith leaders from the city, held in the Bishop’s Palace.
You may also want to watch:
He also took part in a Q & A with clergy and lay ministers within the diocese, where he said of his visit: “I’m absolutely elated … I’ve seen signs of the Kingdom here”.
The Archbishop also visited congregations in Dogsthorpe and Welland, before finishing his trip at Peterborough Cathedral, where he launched a new augmented reality app – enabling visitors to take an interactive trail through the cathedral.
Finally, he spoke at the Cathedral’s ‘Wednesday at One’ service. You can listen to this talk here.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Slimmer's life-changing weight loss story
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 9 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 10 Man attempts to smuggle MDMA tablets disguised as Mars Bar into jail
He said: “It’s been an amazing few days visiting churches in Peterborough diocese – and seeing how Christians here are living out their faith in Jesus Christ.
“It’s been a beautiful reminder that whether it’s in town centres or rural parishes, church is not about buildings.
“It’s about meeting with Christ through one another, serving him and loving those who come. That’s how we live out what Jesus told us to do.about meeting with Christ through one another, serving him and loving those who come. That’s how we live out what Jesus told us to do.”