Peterborough Railway Station set for major upgrade and improved services under new franchise
- Credit: Archant
Passengers in Peterborough are set to benefit from faster and more frequent services, improved weekend timetables and a host of station improvements in the coming years.
Under the InterCity East Coast (“ICEC”) franchise, which has been awarded to Stagecoach and Virgin, passengers in will see more weekday services to Edinburgh from May 2016, with direct links to Aberdeen and Inverness from May 2020. There will be additional Saturday service to Leeds from December 2015 and additional Sunday services to Newcastle from May 2019.
Fastest journey times to Leeds will be reduced to under one hour 15 minutes from the launch of the major new timetable in May 2020.
In addition, free station WiFi and new open plan customer zones will be launched and there will be extra cycle and car parking spaces installed. A cycle hub and multi-storey car park will also be built.
There are also plans to improve station facilities with more seating, better retail facilities and the launch of car-club vehicles at stations and car sharing schemes.
You may also want to watch:
Full details of plans to transform services for InterCity East Coast passengers are available here: http://stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2014/2014-11-27.aspx
- 1 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 MP praises 'fantastic' vaccine team after having Covid-19 jab
- 5 Man who died in road crash is named
- 6 Here are your winners of the Pride of Whittlesey awards
- 7 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 10 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’