Peterborough Railway Station set for major upgrade and improved services under new franchise
- Credit: Archant
Passengers in Peterborough are set to benefit from faster and more frequent services, improved weekend timetables and a host of station improvements in the coming years.
Under the InterCity East Coast (“ICEC”) franchise, which has been awarded to Stagecoach and Virgin, passengers in will see more weekday services to Edinburgh from May 2016, with direct links to Aberdeen and Inverness from May 2020. There will be additional Saturday service to Leeds from December 2015 and additional Sunday services to Newcastle from May 2019.
Fastest journey times to Leeds will be reduced to under one hour 15 minutes from the launch of the major new timetable in May 2020.
In addition, free station WiFi and new open plan customer zones will be launched and there will be extra cycle and car parking spaces installed. A cycle hub and multi-storey car park will also be built.
There are also plans to improve station facilities with more seating, better retail facilities and the launch of car-club vehicles at stations and car sharing schemes.
You may also want to watch:
Full details of plans to transform services for InterCity East Coast passengers are available here: http://stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2014/2014-11-27.aspx
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 6 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 7 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 8 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 9 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 10 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris