PHOTO SPECIAL: First drawings of multi million pound retail park for Ely that includes new Tesco and hotel
PLANS for a new retail park – and hotel- for Ely are set to go on public display at the Maltings.
The scheme, known as Octagon Park, includes a new Tesco store to replace the one on Angel Drove, as well as a DIY store, a hotel and business units.
It is being promoted by Healy Investments Ltd, who already have planning approval for a new development on the site.
The company is now working up a new application following discussions with East Cambs District Council which plans to redevelop the Station Gateway site currently occupied by Tesco. It is hoped that this new development can help to make this happen.
Matthew Chandler of Healy Investments Ltd said: “By including a new Tesco store in our latest plans for Octagon Park, we can help free up the Station Gateway site whilst also creating jobs and helping to stimulate the local economy”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “It is not our intention to compete with the shops already in Ely – far from it.
“Our studies have found that many people currently travel to Newmarket and Cambridge to do much of their shopping. Our plans for Octagon Park will address this and help the city to become more economically self-sufficient”.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
Representatives of Healy have held discussions with the economic development team at East Cambs District Council regarding the offices and light industrial units included within the plans.
An outline application will be submitted for this element of the scheme meaning that the units can be tailor-made at a later date to meet the specific requirements of businesses looking to move to Ely.
The public exhibition will take place at the Maltings, Ship Lane, Ely, on Friday September 14 from 3pm – 7pm and on Saturday September 14 from 10.30am – 3pm. Local people will have an opportunity to view the plans, meet the team promoting the development and leave their comments.
There will also be an opportunity for people to view the plans and leave comments by visiting www.octagonparkely.co.uk
The website will go live on Friday September 14.