Picture perfect: Kevin and Alan win WWT regional contest
THIS stunning picture of an owl hunting for its prey snapped by Wisbech’s Kevin Wooby stood out from the crowd to win in this year’s regional spring heat of the WWT Photography Competition.
Alan Payne’s photographic masterpieces entitled Flooded Fen and Click were also among the winning East of England entries which will now make it through to the contest’s national final.
Mr Payne, a teacher at the College of West Anglia, scooped his awards in the People and Wildlife and Wetland Landscape categories.
“I have never entered my photographs into a competition before,” he said. “I am very surprised to win and very encouraged.”
Meanwhile electrician Mr Wooby secured more than 200 votes for his image, saying that the WWT had reignited his passion for photography.
You may also want to watch:
WWT Welney centre manager Julie Ward said: “I have been amazed at the standard of the photography in this competition and hope that many more amateur photographers will be encouraged to enter.”
The organisation is now encouraging entries for its summer heats before the closing date of August 31.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Mr Payne and Mr Wooby will go through to this autumn’s national finals judged by BBC Springwatch presenter Chris Packham, where they could win a three-day birds of prey workshop in the Czech Republic courtesy of Tantra Photography.
As winners of their regional heat, they have already won a place each on a photography course held at WWT Slimbridge.