PICTURES: Hunt is on for man who held up bookmakers ‘at gunpoint’ and stole thousands of pounds in cash
- Credit: Archant
Police have released CCTV images of a man they want to trace in connection with an armed robbery at a bookmakers.
The incident took place at about 11.15am on Sunday, July 6, at S&D bookmakers in High Street, Littleport.
A man walked in brandishing what has been described as a black handgun, went to the counter and demanded money from a female member of staff.
He was handed a significant amount of cash in a bag before he fled along High Street towards Hitches Street.
Police believe the robber had gone to the shop about one hour before the crime but was unable to get in because it was closed.
PC Steve Gilbey, who is investigating, said: “I believe the offender may have spoken to an elderly woman as he was trying the door at just after 10am. I would urge her, or anyone else who was in the area at the time, to come forwards.
“This was a cowardly and desperate act and a frightening ordeal for the member of staff who was very shaken.
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 3 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 4 Jury deliberates in trial of driver accused of causing baby’s death
- 5 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 6 Jury to go out in trial of driver accused of causing toddler's death
- 7 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 8 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 9 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
“I would urge anyone who recognises the person in the CCTV or who has any other information about this robbery to get in touch.”
Anyone with information should contact PC Gilbey on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.