Pit your wits against top pinball wizards as UK Cup comes to Ely
- Credit: Archant
Ely’s Bar 62 has been announced as the new host for the UK Pinball Cup – and you could find yourself competing against some of the nation’s best.
The Newnham Street bar, formerly known as Deans, is expecting to play host to about 40 of the UK’s top pinball wizards when the tournament gets under way, on July 20.
To celebrate the championships arriving in Ely for the first time, Bar 62 owner Fiona Talbot is inviting all comers to sign up and take part.
Responsible for bringing the event to Ely is Fiona’s brother, Rowan Salger, who got hooked on pinball at university and hasn’t looked back since.
He is the current record holder on Bar 62’s pinball machine and is expected to be among the favourites for the cup.
You may also want to watch:
But members of the public are being encouraged to join in.
Fiona said: “This is just the kind of event we are working hard to attract to the city. We would love to see lots of people take part and hopefully make it an annual event, too.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
To add spice to the big day, the game’s governing body, the International Flipper Pinball Association, has officially sanctioned the event.
Entry to the tournament is free to all but all games must be paid for at the regular price by the players.
Any money taken by the tables during the course of the tournament will be split between the British Heart Foundation and Shelter.
If you are interested in taking part, follow BAR 62 on Facebook and send a private message or call 01353 661003. Entry is on a first come first served basis (including on the day).