Planning permission refused for wind turbines near Ouse Washes
WILDLIFE conservationists persuaded a council to turn down plans for six wind turbines near the Ouse Washes this week.
John Stoneman from the Cambridgeshire Environmental and Wildlife Protection, and Sandra Lawrence from Save our Swans, said two applications for turbines at Fodder Fen would be highly damaging to wildlife.
Mr Stoneman said the proposed 15.54metre turbines were on the flight path of swans foraging for food and the turbines would undermine bird conservation work.
Ms Lawrence – whose organisation had sent in a 120 signature petition opposing the plan – said the turbines threatened local wildlife.
The Wildlife and Wetland Trust pointed out that the proposed two sites for the turbines were close to swan feeding areas, and they had “serious concerns” about the proposal.
You may also want to watch:
The council had received two planning application, each one for three turbines to be erected at Bottom Farm, Days Lode Road.
A planning officer said the plans should be turned down because the proposal had failed to demonstrate there would be no adverse effect on the Ouse Washes, and had failed to provide visual representations of the effect on the Fenland landscape.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 9 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
Also refused were plans to build a 26 metre turbine at Wood Street, Doddington, and a 24 metre turbine at Bythorne Bank, Tydd St Gile.
Permission was granted to build of a pair of turbines at the Coleseed Business Complex in Upwell and for three more turbines to be built on an unused area of agricultural land at Southfork Farm, Parson Drove.