Plans to move Elm Post Office go out to public consultation
RESIDENTS of Elm will be able to sort out their finances as they buy their groceries, if plans to relocate the village Post Office get the green light.
This week the Post Office announced a public consultation over their intention to move Elm Post Office into the Londis store in Birch Grove.
They want to operate under a new Post Office Local banner, with customers able to pay bills and buy postal orders at an open plan counter as they shop.
The current sub postmaster Roger Bingle, who has operated the Post Office from his home in High Road for just over a year, has resigned for personal reasons.
But Roger said this week: “I will stay on until the Post Office gets a new home, to ensure a service for our customers.”
You may also want to watch:
Villagers and other interested bodies have until July 24 to make their views known about the plans. The new scheme would mean longer opening hours for the Post Office services, including Sunday mornings.
Post Office spokesman Wendy Hamilton said: It is our intention to maintain Post Office services to our customers in Elm and we are confident that the appointment of Londis to operate a Post Office Local service incorporated into their store will meet the needs of the local community. This move will secure Post office services to the area in the longer term.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
She added: “Post Office local is a new concept for delivering Post Office services, operated from an open plan counter in an established shop, with a range of key Post Office products and services alongside retail transactions during opening hours.” There are plans to install a portable ramp, and there will be a hearing loop.
Customers can send in submissions by post to Post Office Ltd, c/o National Consultation Team, PO Box 1138, St Albans, AL1 9UN, via email to email@example.com, via the customer helpline: 08457 22 33 44 or Textphone 08457 22 33 55.