Plaque unveiled at Skoulding’s Rest
- Credit: Archant
The Middle Level Watermen’s Club was presented with a plaque by the organisation whose £22,000 grant has enabled them to develop Skoulding’s Rest at a ceremony today.
Mike Carter, of the Cambridgeshire ACRE, handed over the plaque to Rear Commodore Bill Barry, of the Middle Level Watermen’s Club (MLWC), at the club’s new riverside headquarters, which will be completed before the end of the year.
A marquee was set up and coffee, wine and posh biscuits were served.
Without Cambridgeshire ACRE’s support the development would not have gone ahead, MLWC president Jeff Walters said.
He said: “We received the land last July and were given the grant by ACRE in November. Without their support the development would not have happened.
You may also want to watch:
“Work started on the site in March and volunteers of all ages have done the bulk of it.
“Most of the volunteers are retired. The oldest volunteer, Albert, is 92-years-old, while our youngest helper is just 16.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“When it is finished it will be something the people of March can be very proud of.”
Cambridgeshire ACRE is the rural community council for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
They provide encouragement, practical help and support to communities throughout Cambridgeshire and Peterborough to enable them to develop as vibrant places to live and work.
Skoulding’s Rest, which will have disabled assess, will be for both public and private moorings.
It is open to the public for memberships. If you would like to find out more, call Jeff at 07785 787875