Police appeal after Victorian cast iron beer-barrel stillages stolen in Chatteris
RARE Victorian cast iron beer-barrel stillages were stolen during a series of thefts.
Thieves first stole a camper van from the Pound Road area of Chatteris between January 18 and 19.
But when they returned on January 20 they also took plastic fascia boards, a television, car radio and CDs as well as the four ancient stillages, measuring 24 inches in length.
“The scrap metal value of them is small but their replacement would be expensive,” the victim, who has asked not to be named, said.
“It was only part of the metal stolen on the night but they were very significant items.”
You may also want to watch:
Also taken was an old hand-carved ironworks sign.
“Whoever took them must have had a vehicle and will have taken by the A141,” the victim said.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
The victim added that they were “quite heavy” and must have taken more than one person to carry.
“We don’t really expect to recover anything that was stolen but the stillages are so unusual and distinctive that someone may have noticed them and be prepared to give some information which may help to get the people involved arrested.”
Anyone with information about the theft should contact Cambridgeshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.