Police chopper’s first anniversary
A SPECIAL anniversary is being celebrated this week – the first anniversary of Cambridgeshire Constabulary s new helicopter. The MD902 is a multi-role aircraft which can be quickly re-rolled to air ambulance, people carrier or freighter in times of emerge
A SPECIAL anniversary is being celebrated this week - the first anniversary of Cambridgeshire Constabulary's new helicopter.
The MD902 is a multi-role aircraft which can be quickly re-rolled to air ambulance, people carrier or freighter in times of emergency.
The extra capacity is also useful in supporting MAGPAS, by taking the voluntary emergency medical team direct to the scene of an incident within minutes.
From June, 2005 to June, 2006 the previous aircraft flew in more than 1,900 operations and was responsible for the arrest of 110 criminals.
You may also want to watch:
From June, 2006 to mid-May, the new helicopter attended 2,014 incidents, directly arrested 105 people and assisted in a further 78 arrests.
Last month it was called to March after a partially-sighted man went missing overnight.
- 1 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 2 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Man who sent deputy Labour leader threatening email spared jail
- 8 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 9 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
"Within three minutes of the helicopter arriving in the area the missing man was spotted having fallen in long vegetation," said a police spokesman. "The aircraft landed at the scene and the crew gave first aid to the man until the ambulance crew arrived."
In the Wisbech area, the helicopter was used after a blue minibus was reported driving erratically along the A47 at Thorney Toll.
"The vehicle was spotted by the helicopter and tracked, all the while ground crews were being told of the location," said the spokesman. "The minibus was stopped and the driver was arrested for driving with excess alcohol.