Police officer Symian Traer-Goffe of March, Cambs, acquitted on two counts of misconduct in public office - in court tomorrow on common assault charge
PUBLISHED: 16:37 26 November 2015 | UPDATED: 17:11 26 November 2015
SOUTH BEDS NEWS AGENCY/
A police officer has been acquitted on two counts of misconduct in public office.
PC Symian Traer-Goffe, 45, of March, who is based at Hampton Police Station, was found not guilty of one of the alleged offences this afternoon following a trial at Luton Crown Court.
The other charge was discontinued yesterday following a direction by the judge.
PC Traer-Goffe is suspended from duty pending consideration of police misconduct matters.
PC Traer-Goffe is due to appear at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court tomorrow (November 27) charged with common assault.
Earlier today he outlined his version of events to a jury at Luton Crown Court about what had happened when he went to visit two women witnesses to a separate case.
At the start of his trial last week, the officer had denied two separate misconduct charges concerning each of the women.
But at the end of the prosecution’s case this week, trial judge Richard Foster directed the jury to acquit the officer of one charge concerning the older woman, who is in her mid forties.
The judge also made an order that neither woman should be identified in any reporting of the case.
Giving evidence, the officer was asked by his barrister Tyrone Smith QC if he was attracted to either woman or found them “sexy.”
“Absolutely not,” he replied.
He told the jury he was aware that before the evening of September 24, he knew of the women’s reluctance to assist the investigation.
Traer-Goffe said that evening he had called to see them regarding the court case.
Five days later when he next saw the woman he said neither made any complaint to him that he had touched them.
Then, on October 6 last year, he said he had called to see them because there was to be a hearing the next day and again he said neither woman made any suggestion that he had touched them.