Police praise 93 year old woman who chases burglar out of her home
- Credit: Archant
A man who was chased away by his 93-year-old victim as he burgled her home has been jailed for five years.
John Brady, of no fixed abode, walked into his victims’ home in Lensfield Road, Cambridge in broad daylight through open rear doors.
However, the 47-year-old got a shock as he began rummaging through the house when the elderly female came downstairs and chased him out of the house and garden.
Detective Constable John Collinson said: “This was a calculated, dishonest and utterly immoral act by a man who deliberately targeted an elderly lady in order to steal from her.
“He continued to deny his involvement despite overwhelming evidence.
You may also want to watch:
“As a result, a concerned 93-year-old had to give evidence in court and I would like to commend her bravery in doing so.”
Following the incident Brady left on a bike with a bag containing about £100 in cash but CCTV evidence obtained from a nearby restaurant led to his conviction.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
He was found guilty of burglary at Cambridge Crown Court and was sentenced to five years in prison.