Police praise for have a go Lithuanian men who rugby tackled and restrained purse thief
- Credit: Archant
TWO Lithuanians were hailed have a go heroes after rugby tackling a thief who had stolen a purse from a Wisbech woman.
The incident happened yesterday afternoon at 1.45pm when a 37 year-old woman drew £180 from the National Westminster Bank in Market Place, Wisbech.
She was followed by an offender into Chapel Lane where he came up behind her, removed a red purse containing the cash, and ran off.
Det Insp Dave Murphy said: “The offender was chased on foot by victim but then, two members of the public (both Lithuanian foreign nationals) realised what was happening and jumped on the man.”
“The two Lithuanians restrained the male on the floor until the police subsequently arrived and made an arrest,”
You may also want to watch:
DI Murphy added: “Both the purse and cash were recovered. It was nice to see members of the public helping out a victim of crime and making an intervention.”
Estonian Ruslan Zuravljov, 32, was subsequently charged with theft and appeared before Kings Lynn magistrates today. He was jailed for three months.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government