Police receive 150 calls after releasing e-fits of abduction attempt suspects at RAF Marham
- Credit: Archant
Police have received over 100 calls since releasing e-fits of the two men involved in the attempted abduction of a serviceman at RAF Marham.
Calls made to the dedicated hotline set up following the incident on Wednesday July 20 are now being followed up as officers attempt to track down the men who attempted to abduct a serviceman near the Norfolk airbase while he was out jogging.
Yesterday marked the one-week anniversary which saw officers carrying out enquiries near to the scene and around the village.
Six road blocks were put in place with officers stopping vehicles travelling in the area, asking drivers whether they had been in the area last week and whether they witnessed anything unusual.
Drivers were also handed leaflets featuring e-fit images of the two men involved in the attack which happened on Squires Hill.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Superintendent Paul Durham, from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, is leading the investigation and said he was pleased with the public’s response.
He said: “Since yesterday afternoon we’ve received 150 calls from members of the public, from people locally and further afield, and officers are following up this information.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 4 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 5 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 6 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 7 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
“The road blocks allowed us to capture people who might not necessarily live in the area but use the routes for work or leisure purposes. This was useful in identifying some drivers with dash cams and this footage has been retrieved and will be reviewed.
“We continue to make progress but as I said yesterday, this will be lengthy investigation as it requires painstaking detailed enquiries.
“I would continue to urge anyone who recognises either man in the e-fit images provided, or has knowledge concerning their whereabouts to contact police on 101. If you see the men in person do not approach them and call police immediately on 999.”
• The first suspect is aged between 20-30, about 6ft tall, of athletic but stocky build, with dark hair which was long on top and had a well-groomed beard. He had a dark skin tone and wore casual clothing. He may have a facial injury sustained during the incident when the victim defended himself.
• The second is aged between 20-30, but younger than the first suspect and of a slimmer build. He was about 5ft 10, clean shaven with short dark hair and wore a white t-shirt and dark shorts.