Police target travellers without seatbelt
POLICE are targeting those who don t wear seatbelts when travelling on Fenland roads. A week-long campaign was launched on Monday as part of a European-wide campaign organised by TISPOL (Traffic Information System Police). Pc Tony Barrios, casualty reduct
POLICE are targeting those who don't wear seatbelts when travelling on Fenland roads.
A week-long campaign was launched on Monday as part of a European-wide campaign organised by TISPOL (Traffic Information System Police).
Pc Tony Barrios, casualty reduction officer with Cambridgeshire Police, said: "Seatbelts save lives and it astonishes me that some people continue to risk their lives by not buckling up.
"Putting on your seatbelt should be part of your routine before even starting your car and drivers should be responsible for ensuring all passengers wear their seatbelts."
You may also want to watch:
Just before the start of the campaign our photographer was out and about photographing drivers who were not wearing seatbelts.
Brian Purdy said: "I was astounded that in five minutes I was able to photograph nine drivers not wearing belts and there were others I missed.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
"Some of the drivers were using mobiles as well as not wearing their seatbelts."
All this week officers have been carrying out special patrols in a bid to crackdown on drivers who do not wear seatbelts.
During the last week-long seatbelt campaign, in February, a total of 98 people were issued with fixed penalty notices for not wearing seatbelts.
In 2006 233 fixed penalty notices were issued in Cambridgeshire for children not wearing seatbelts and 5,814 to adults.