Police head to the loos at service station in poster campaign to enlist motorists to the signs of human trafficking
- Credit: Archant
Police are targeting service station toilets in a bid to alert lorry drivers to human trafficking.
Cambridgeshire Police has put up posters in the loos at Cambridge Services near Bar Hill on the A14 as part of a poster campaign.
"They're not in the most glamorous of locations, but were thought up after more than 25 people were rescued from inside lorries on the A14 in November," said a police spokesman.
"Modern slavery and human trafficking still exist today, with the Essex lorry deaths perhaps the most heartbreaking reminder of this. Here in Cambridgeshire we're doing all we can to tackle this, but we need your help"
The spokesman said warning signs to look out for, particularly at service stations or lay-bys, include:
You may also want to watch:
* People emerging from a lorry or HGV, especially suddenly or as if in a rush not to be seen
* Hearing banging from the inside of a lorry - always call 999, especially if the lorry is refrigerated
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Man found dead in March
* A group of people heading towards, or going inside of, the back of a lorry
* If anything about the vehicle doesn't seem quite right - for example if produce is being thrown from it or something is being done to catch the attention of other motorists
"If you see any of the above, call us on 999 immediately," said the spokesman. "Please also take a note of the vehicle registration number, even if it has foreign plates."
For more information about human trafficking/modern slavery visit: http://bit.ly/30gQ0Hm