Pools ‘winner’ David to wend, wend, wend his way across the ‘Channel’
AN ELDERLY man is going to extraordinary lengths to raise money for charity - by swimming 1,146 of them!
David Davies, 76, of Leverington Common, is proving that age is no barrier by taking the plunge at Wisbech’s Hudson Leisure Centre five times a week for spinal charity Aspire.
He is joining thousands of fundraisers across the country who are swimming 22 miles - the equivalent of the English Channel - at their local pools.
Mr Davies said: “I thought to myself if I don’t do it now I’ll never be able to do it. I’m thankful for my health and this will give a bit back to those who haven’t been so fortunate.
“I’m enjoying it so far because I’ve broken it down to manageable chunks and the daily distance has worked out just about right. It’s keeping me fit and even though I’m not a very good swimmer, at least I’m a regular one.”
You may also want to watch:
The tireless 76-year-old old has until December 4 to complete the 12-week challenge which he insists he is now “confident” about finishing.
He said the “brilliant support” of the pool’s lifeguards have helped him swim 32 lengths of the 25m pool every time he has taken to the water since the 13th ‘Aspire Channel Swim’ began in September.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Mr Davis joked: “I just go at my own pace and watch as people overtake me but that doesn’t matter - all I care about is getting to the end eventually!”
• Bucket collections are being held at the centre in Harecroft Road. Alternatively you can support Mr David by texting SWIM22 �5 to 70070.