Postman Nick prepares for his sixth mammoth challenge for charity
- Credit: Archant
March postman Nick Winterton is walking 62 miles of the Cotswold Way Challenge to raise funds for Great Ormond Street Children’s Hospital. The continuous hike from Bath to Cheltenham is in July.
He said: “It’s great to be doing another challenge to raise money for the hospital, but I’m reluctant to take any credit.
“That goes to everyone out there who has been so generous and put their hands in their pockets over the years and I can’t thank them enough.
“That’s what makes these events so special and a great talking point. I get asked every single week when my next walk is which is lovely and I aim to keep doing them as long as possible.
“The hospital has treated many local children, and each year I speak to someone on delivery who tells me their story, and that makes every step worthwhile.
“Action Challenge events are some of the hardest out there and I would love to get another medal, but there are no guarantees or room for complacency, as a significant number of people always fail to finish.
“Fortunately that hasn’t happened to me yet and I aim to keep it that way.
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 3 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 4 Jury deliberates in trial of driver accused of causing baby’s death
- 5 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 6 Jury to go out in trial of driver accused of causing toddler's death
- 7 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 8 Painter who captured town before 1978 floods finishes 44 years on
- 9 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 10 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
“I’ve raised around £500 so far which is a great start. Its my first walk in the West of England so I cant wait to get on with it”
This will be his sixth charity walk with the other five raising just under £10,000 pounds.
The other five include the North Norfolk Coast, Hadrian’s Wall, The Dorset Jurassic Coast, London to Cambridge and The South Coast Challenge.
Last years South Coast Challenge raised the most at an impressive £2,300.
The target amount for this years challenge is £1,000.
The only stop for this year’s event are for refreshments and medical treatment. Target time is 24-33 hours starting on Saturday July 1 to Sunday 2.
• You can ask Nick or any other postman in the PE15 postode area for a sponsor form to be delivered straight to your door.
• Donate in the box or collect a sponsor form in the callers office at March Delivery Office, Dartford Rd, March.
• Or at www.justgiving.com/NICK-WINTERTON3.
• Via the link on his Facebook page.