Poundworld team up with charity Papworth Trust to offer Wisbech long-term unemployed a way back into work
- Credit: Archant
A partnership between a pound shop and a charity has helped nine long-term unemployed people get back to work.
Poundworld created 30 jobs with the opening of a store at the Cromwell Retail Park in Wisbech last Thursday.
Nine of these jobs were filled by charity Papworth Trust, which supports long-term unemployed adults in getting back into sustainable work.
Poundworld approached the charity to see if they could help find sales assistants and supervisors for the store.
Papworth Trust pre-screened 18 candidates through group exercises, selecting 13 for interviews. Of these, nine candidates were offered jobs.
Mike King, of Sefton Avenue in Wisbech, had been looking for a job since his son started school two years ago.
As a lone parent it was hard for him to find a role that fitted around school time so he was thrilled when Poundworld offered him a job as a sales advisor.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 6 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 7 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 8 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 9 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 10 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
He said: “I am looking forward to getting back to work, and I’m very pleased to find something that fits in so easily. “Christmas will be easier to provide for this year, and I might even be able to take my son on holiday next summer.”
Rebecca Smith, employer partnership consultant at Papworth Trust, said: “Working this closely with Poundworld has provided huge benefits to everyone involved.
“The group of job hunters really supported each other and helped to build each other’s confidence.
“By the time they started working for Poundworld, they already felt like part of the team.”
As a charity, Papworth Trust offers local employers a free recruitment service, including job matching.
To find out more, e-mail email@example.com or phone 0300 456 2357.