Poundworld team up with charity Papworth Trust to offer Wisbech long-term unemployed a way back into work
- Credit: Archant
A partnership between a pound shop and a charity has helped nine long-term unemployed people get back to work.
Poundworld created 30 jobs with the opening of a store at the Cromwell Retail Park in Wisbech last Thursday.
Nine of these jobs were filled by charity Papworth Trust, which supports long-term unemployed adults in getting back into sustainable work.
Poundworld approached the charity to see if they could help find sales assistants and supervisors for the store.
Papworth Trust pre-screened 18 candidates through group exercises, selecting 13 for interviews. Of these, nine candidates were offered jobs.
You may also want to watch:
Mike King, of Sefton Avenue in Wisbech, had been looking for a job since his son started school two years ago.
As a lone parent it was hard for him to find a role that fitted around school time so he was thrilled when Poundworld offered him a job as a sales advisor.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
He said: “I am looking forward to getting back to work, and I’m very pleased to find something that fits in so easily. “Christmas will be easier to provide for this year, and I might even be able to take my son on holiday next summer.”
Rebecca Smith, employer partnership consultant at Papworth Trust, said: “Working this closely with Poundworld has provided huge benefits to everyone involved.
“The group of job hunters really supported each other and helped to build each other’s confidence.
“By the time they started working for Poundworld, they already felt like part of the team.”
As a charity, Papworth Trust offers local employers a free recruitment service, including job matching.
To find out more, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0300 456 2357.