Power supplies should be back tonight in parts of Wisbech affected by today’s factory fire
- Credit: © Terry Harris
UK Power Network said they hope to get all homes in Wisbech affected by today’s fire back on by 10pm.
“We’re sorry for any disruption this may be causing you,” said a spokesman. They hoped to get all power restored between 7pm and 10pm “and we may be able to get some customers on sooner”.
Fifty fire fighters were at one time called to tackle the blaze at Shires wood yard in Brigstock Road.
Jamie Johnson, Wisbech fire service station commander, said earlier that his firefighters were tackling “a well established factory fire”.
He said 12 appliances were in attendance with support pumps from Norfolk fire and rescue called in to assist.
You may also want to watch:
“We are advising people to avoid area and keep their doors and windows shut,” he said.
“We are hoping to make significant progress in next few hours “
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Crews remain at a the site and a fire service spokesman said the building contains a lot of wood so crews are containing the fire ensuring it doesn’t spread to other parts of the building.