Praised for their hard work the two students celebrated at Whittlesey Young Citizen of the year awards
- Credit: Archant
Two young people have been awarded for their hard work in the community in a special awards night.
The Whittlesey Young Citizen of the Year Awards saw the students given credit for everything they have done.
Winner was Bethany Mephan, who is a keen volunteer and acts as a mentor to younger pupils.
The first merit award went to Jarad Wilson for fund raising using imaginative means.
Mayor councillor Alex Miscandlon said: “This year the committee had a difficult job separating the nominees and for this I must extend my thanks to my fellow councillors for their efforts.
You may also want to watch:
“As a result of the close marking they felt that merit awards should be presented to the runners up, one of which is a student at Sir Harry Smith.”
He said that Bethany seemed to pop up whenever help was needed and her volunteering aid in Whittlesey and surrounding areas was always gratefully received.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“She also acts as a mentor to younger pupils and is always available to help fellow students in any way possible.”
Jarad has raised money using “a very persuasive conversation with teachers, managing to raise a large sum of money for defibrillators for all.”
The awards are for under 18’s who have helped in the community, undertaken charity work, or achieved something beyond the call of duty.
They must live in Whittlesey, Coates, Eastrea, Turves or Pondersbridge.