Pride in appearance
The council s staff Street Pride volunteers joined forces with the Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery again on Saturday. The two environmentally conscious groups worked together to litter pick Leverington Road Cemetery and the surrounding playing fields
The council's staff Street Pride volunteers joined forces with the Friends of Leverington Road Cemetery again on Saturday. The two environmentally conscious groups worked together to litter pick Leverington Road Cemetery and the surrounding playing fields.
Although small in number, the group still managed to fill the back of a truck with all manner of household items, including mattresses, a table, baby bath, parasol umbrellas, stepladders, satellite dish and a portable TV. About 15 sacks of litter were also collected.
The area where the items were found will now be recommended for surveillance to try to catch litter louts and fly tippers in the act. Anyone caught littering or fly tipping can be issued with a fixed penalty notice and fined a minimum of £75 for committing the offence.
The Staff Street Pride group's next event will be at The Sconce, March (rear of Eastwood Avenue), on Saturday May 19. The group will be joined by members of the Youth District Council who have helped organise the event. If you would like to join in, just meet at the Sconce at 10am for a couple of hours of litter picking and graffiti removal.
You may also want to watch:
- For more information contact Jo Hart, Street Pride co-ordinator, on 01354 602163.
- 1 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 2 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 5 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 8 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 9 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip