Probe into prison hanging
AN inquiry is under way at Whitemoor Prison, March, into how a convicted rapist managed to hang himself. Patrick Purcell, 40, was serving a life sentence at the prison but had been placed in a special wing reserved for those with a serious personality dis
AN inquiry is under way at Whitemoor Prison, March, into how a convicted rapist managed to hang himself.
Patrick Purcell, 40, was serving a life sentence at the prison but had been placed in a special wing reserved for those with a serious personality disorder and he was being kept on a 24-hour-a-day suicide watch.
However, he was moved to a segregation cell, where he was found hanged on Saturday afternoon.
Staff attempted to resuscitate him and paramedics also attended the prison but he was announced dead shortly afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
A Prison Service spokesman said that "every death in custody is a tragedy and our sympathies are with the family and friends of Mr Purcell at this time."
Purcell was convicted of rape and sentenced to life at Kingston Crown Court in 1998.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show