Produce World in Chatteris need to sort out water voles issue before it can proceed with major extension
- Credit: Archant
An agricultural producer has been told it needs to do more to make sure water voles do not re-colonise the site before it can proceed with a major extension to its factory.
Produce World, of Iretons Way, Chatteris, received permission to build 21,000sq metres of processing and packaging facilities, alongside 13,000 of floor space, in December 2014.
However, a condition imposed by the council is that a Water Vole Mitigation Srategy be implemented.
On March 2, topsoil was stripped of the banks to make them unsuitable for water voles and the channel was then dredged at the bridge location to further deter water vole use.
Fenland District Council’s ecology officer said: “I am satisfied the ground preparation works have been carried out in accordance with the Water Vole Mitigation Strategy, as required by this condition.
You may also want to watch:
“However it should be noted that there is also a requirement for the initial construction bank works of these areas to ensure the cleared areas do not become re-colonised prior to construction.
“In addition there is a requirement for a monitoring survey to be carried out in the year following completion of all works. “I would therefore have no objection to the partial discharging of this condition, however given the requirement for additional monitoring which has not yet been completed, I would not recommend that this condition is fully discharged at this moment in time.”
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens