Professional BMX stunt biker spins into action at Friday Bridge, Wisbech St Mary and Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A world record stunt BMX bike rider is coming to the Fens to demonstrates his skills as part of a tour to encourage children to cycle, scoot or walk to school.
Matti Hemmings, who holds the Guinness record for doing the most cliffhanger spins, will be at Friday Bridge Primary, Payne Primary, Wisbech St Mary Primary and Clarkson Infants on March 10.
A cliffhanger is where the rider keeps one foot on the handlebar and spins. His record is 56 in one minute.
During his visit Matti will treat youngsters to a show as part of their curriculum learning about the Sustrans schools programme, which encourages pupils to keep fit and active by getting to school under their own steam instead of being driven in a car.
“The shows are a way to inspire pupils to take interest in cycling and sustainable travel and will be encouraged to come to school on the day under their own steam rather than in the car,” said Craig Johnson of Sustrans.
You may also want to watch:
“The schools are very keen to reduce car use during the school run to reduce congestion outside the school gates and encourage their pupils to make healthy lifestyle choices.”
Sustrans schools work is funded through Cambridgeshire County Council.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
BMX star Matti Hemmings is a professional BMX flatland rider whose talent has received fast growing recognition in the BMX scene and has been competing at national and international events all over Europe.
He organises events such as UK Flatland BMX Championships, the biggest contest within UK and has appeared on many TV shows including his own show on Nickelodeon Called Get Your Skills On, better known to some as Matti Axel.
Watch Matti Hemmings in action