Proposals for new Chatteris community which would see 1,000 homes built submitted to council
A PROPOSAL which would see up to 1,000 homes, as well as a business park, a health centre and a primary school built in Chatteris has been submitted to Fenland District Council.
The application, which has evolved over the last five years, sets out plans for a huge investment on 70 hectares of farmland to the south east of the town - west of the A142 Ireton’s Way.
It would establish a new community with up to 1,000 houses, an outdoor sports facility, a primary school with playing fields and a business centre.
There are plans for a neighbourhood shop, cafe, doctor’s surgery and pharmacy, as well as link roads to relieve traffic congestion around the town.
The proposal, submitted by Hallam Land Management Ltd and BS Pension Fund Trustee Ltd, would see the refurbishment of nearby Grade-II listed Tithe Barn - for commercial or community use.
You may also want to watch:
Outside the site boundaries, the master plan would also provide a 3 hectare extension to the land of Cromwell Community College.
It is hoped that the new community would help make Chatteris a “stepping stone”, providing a vital link between Cambridge and other Fenland towns.
- 1 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 4 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 5 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 6 Firefighters attempted to resuscitate suspected murder victim
- 7 Count admits he 'must carry personally' some blame for losses
- 8 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
It is claimed the development would offer housing and employment boosts, assisting with economic regeneration.