Proposals for new Chatteris community which would see 1,000 homes built submitted to council
A PROPOSAL which would see up to 1,000 homes, as well as a business park, a health centre and a primary school built in Chatteris has been submitted to Fenland District Council.
The application, which has evolved over the last five years, sets out plans for a huge investment on 70 hectares of farmland to the south east of the town - west of the A142 Ireton’s Way.
It would establish a new community with up to 1,000 houses, an outdoor sports facility, a primary school with playing fields and a business centre.
There are plans for a neighbourhood shop, cafe, doctor’s surgery and pharmacy, as well as link roads to relieve traffic congestion around the town.
The proposal, submitted by Hallam Land Management Ltd and BS Pension Fund Trustee Ltd, would see the refurbishment of nearby Grade-II listed Tithe Barn - for commercial or community use.
You may also want to watch:
Outside the site boundaries, the master plan would also provide a 3 hectare extension to the land of Cromwell Community College.
It is hoped that the new community would help make Chatteris a “stepping stone”, providing a vital link between Cambridge and other Fenland towns.
- 1 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 2 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Students highlight road safety in new films
- 5 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
- 6 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 8 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 9 Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- 10 Six-year-old fundraising for air ambulance charity that helped sister during seizure
It is claimed the development would offer housing and employment boosts, assisting with economic regeneration.