Proposals for new Chatteris community which would see 1,000 homes built submitted to council
A PROPOSAL which would see up to 1,000 homes, as well as a business park, a health centre and a primary school built in Chatteris has been submitted to Fenland District Council.
The application, which has evolved over the last five years, sets out plans for a huge investment on 70 hectares of farmland to the south east of the town - west of the A142 Ireton’s Way.
It would establish a new community with up to 1,000 houses, an outdoor sports facility, a primary school with playing fields and a business centre.
There are plans for a neighbourhood shop, cafe, doctor’s surgery and pharmacy, as well as link roads to relieve traffic congestion around the town.
The proposal, submitted by Hallam Land Management Ltd and BS Pension Fund Trustee Ltd, would see the refurbishment of nearby Grade-II listed Tithe Barn - for commercial or community use.
Outside the site boundaries, the master plan would also provide a 3 hectare extension to the land of Cromwell Community College.
It is hoped that the new community would help make Chatteris a “stepping stone”, providing a vital link between Cambridge and other Fenland towns.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
It is claimed the development would offer housing and employment boosts, assisting with economic regeneration.