Protesters man the steps of Fenland Hall in March as UKIP Councillor Alan Lay faces conduct hearing
- Credit: Archant
Placard waving members of a newly formed group of residents calling themselves Wisbech Voices manned the steps at Fenland Hall in March this morning in support of a 78-year-old councillor facing a conduct hearing.
The group which says it has come together “from different walks of life, and different political allegiances” to support Councillor Alan Lay, who they insist has been treated “unfairly” by the conduct committee of Fenland Council, waved placards proclaiming ‘Stop the Tory bullies’.
Today’s hearing will look into a complaint by Wisbech deputy mayor Councillor Steve Tierney about what was said at a town council meeting in Wisbech.
Cllr Lay alleges he was threatened by the mayor Councillor Garry Tibbs – an allegation that led to demands by Cllr Tierney for a retraction. The UKIP councillor has refused.
A spokesman for Wisbech Voices said they were “an informal group thrown together by a shared love of the town” but were concerned by the state of local politics.
You may also want to watch:
“Our purpose is to draw the attention of local people to what the group believes is the negative effect on Wisbech, both present and future, of town and district councils run by a tightly-knit clique of politicians who seek to stifle debate and demean anyone who disagrees with them,” said the spokesman.
The group says it may in the future contest elections to effect changes but it was early days: matters came to a head over the Cllr Lay issue.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
A full report of the conduct hearing will follow later today.