Proud Debbie completes Barcelona Marathon and raises �2,000 for Help for Heroes
JUBILANT fund raiser Debbie Smith has successfully completed the Barcelona Marathon - and is already looking forward to running it again, but this time dressed as a strawberry!
The marathon held through the streets of the Catalan capital on Sunday was a magnificent event says Debbie, who raised around �2,000 for Help for Heroes.
“There were 15,000 runners, and the crowd had come from all around the world, it was a fantastic atmosphere,” she said.
Debbie was one of 33 runners raising cash for the charity that raises funds for injured ex-servicemen. She completed the run - her first ever marathon - in four hours and 47 minutes.
“One of our runners was dressed as a banana and broke the record as the fastest runner to complete the course dressed as a fruit,” explained Debbie, who lives in March. “So next year I am planning to run dressed as a strawberry.”
You may also want to watch:
Help for Heroes founder Bryn Parry was at the finishing line to congratulate Debbie and the other runners.
“I hit the wall after 20 miles and thought I was going to pass out,” said Debbie. “But Bryn had told us about a Royal Marine who was left as a tetraplegic after being injured in Afghanistan. Bryn told us to think of that soldier when we hit the wall.
- 1 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 2 Fire crews free driver trapped in overturned lorry
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 14-year-old footballer's 'dream' comes true after securing England trial
- 5 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 6 Man in court after more than £656k of cannabis seized
- 7 Fire crews and RSPCA rescue foal in danger of drowning
- 8 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 9 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 10 Man arrested after cannabis factory found after house blaze
“Almost at the end I was given a Union Flag, so I sprinted to the finish, I don’t know where I got my energy from. I really enjoyed a massive beer at the end.
“I am really proud I did it, and would like to thank everyone who supported me, especially my husband Bruce who came to Barcelona. I am determined to keep fund raising and keep running.”