Pub wins award for best place to spend a penny in March
- Credit: Archant
A March pub has won acclaim for the quality and standards of its toilets – in the Loo of the Year Awards 2019.
The Hippodrome in Dartford Road has been awarded a platinum rating by inspectors.
The awards are aimed at highlighting and improving standards of "away from home" toilet provision across the UK.
The toilets are judged against numerous criteria, including décor and maintenance, cleanliness, accessibility, hand washing and drying equipment and overall management.
The Hippodrome, a Wetherspoon pub, is managed by Charlotte Turner.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "We are delighted with the award. Staff at the pub ensure the toilets are in first-class condition at all times and it is great that this has been recognised by the inspectors."
Loo of the Year Awards inspectors make unannounced visits to thousands of toilets at sites across the UK, in order to judge them.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
All of the toilets are graded silver, gold, platinum or diamond with unacceptable toilets not graded at all.
The Loo of the Year Awards 2019 managing director, Mike Bone, said: "The toilets at The Hippodrome have been designed and fitted out to a very high standard and are both clean and well maintained.
"The pub richly deserves its platinum award."