A royal 105th birthday for Queenie of Doddington
- Credit: PHOTO: Harry Rutter
A tipple of port and sherry are the secrets to looking amazing at 105, according to Queenie Page who celebrated her special birthday on April’s Fools day.
Queenie, born in 1913, said: “I’m no fool though my birthday date is April 1.”
When asked what kept her looking so good Queenie, who lives at Askham House in Doddington, joked that she wouldn’t give away her secret saying instead with a twinkle in her eye: “Mind your own business!”
However, when pressed she and her daughter Hilary agreed that healthy eating and the odd tipple of alcohol helped, as well as working hard all of her life.
Surrounded by a special cake, a card from the Queen, bunting and her daughter Hillary Reid, Queenie said it wasn’t anything special to live to the age of 105.
You may also want to watch:
“I have just been healthy,” she said.
Born in Coton, near Madingley, she married in Great St Mary’s Church in Cambridge in 1937 to her late husband Donald.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
A keen pianist she went on to play the organ at the church where she married, the same one where the funeral of scientist Stephen Hawking was held.
She has two daughters, Hilary and Elizabeth, and throughout her life was a keen seamstress.
She used to make all of her own clothes, including coats, and it is only in recent years that she has stopped her love of dress making.
Queenie has four grandchildren Simon, Alison, Julie and Anthony and three great grandchildren Tomas, Je’robie and Ruby.