Question of Independence
I WAS delighted with the response (Question of independence) to my letter which demonstrates that democracy is alive and well if not on FDC at least elsewhere.
Perhaps I should attempt to put the record straight on the points raised by your correspondents:
1 UKIP to most people, are associated with withdrawal from Europe which may well be a worthy cause but it’s not something that can be affected by local councils. They need to bring pressure on the Government through Parliament if they are to make any progress. I would ask what policies do they have which would directly affect Fenland?
2 Robert Harvey poses the question that Independents would have to win
21 seats to have overall control but that’s not the point I was trying to make. What is needed on FDC is an effective opposition rather than one party rule. Personally, I would be happy with 25% non Conservative seats on the new council so that all those electors who don’t support the ruling party would have their say. Ideally, I would like them to be all Independents but if not, so be it - I’m not greedy! As to his question about Independents forming an alliance with the Conservatives .... for my part, I would judge all proposals on their merits and if they’re good for the majority of the community I would support them but a formal alliance absolutely not!
3 Leader of the local Lib Dems, Cllr Chris Howes, the original hairy biker, bangs on about only a few opposition councillors not having any effect but he didn’t say that when the sole Lib Dem on the council Dave Patrick was elected. Come off it Chris - I may be red nosed but that’s better than being red faced when the time comes!
- 1 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 2 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 3 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 6 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 9 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 10 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash