Question of Independence
I WAS delighted with the response (Question of independence) to my letter which demonstrates that democracy is alive and well if not on FDC at least elsewhere.
Perhaps I should attempt to put the record straight on the points raised by your correspondents:
1 UKIP to most people, are associated with withdrawal from Europe which may well be a worthy cause but it’s not something that can be affected by local councils. They need to bring pressure on the Government through Parliament if they are to make any progress. I would ask what policies do they have which would directly affect Fenland?
2 Robert Harvey poses the question that Independents would have to win
21 seats to have overall control but that’s not the point I was trying to make. What is needed on FDC is an effective opposition rather than one party rule. Personally, I would be happy with 25% non Conservative seats on the new council so that all those electors who don’t support the ruling party would have their say. Ideally, I would like them to be all Independents but if not, so be it - I’m not greedy! As to his question about Independents forming an alliance with the Conservatives .... for my part, I would judge all proposals on their merits and if they’re good for the majority of the community I would support them but a formal alliance absolutely not!
You may also want to watch:
3 Leader of the local Lib Dems, Cllr Chris Howes, the original hairy biker, bangs on about only a few opposition councillors not having any effect but he didn’t say that when the sole Lib Dem on the council Dave Patrick was elected. Come off it Chris - I may be red nosed but that’s better than being red faced when the time comes!
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 4 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 5 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 6 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 'No excuse' not to publish costs says funeral director