Racing towards success: Fenland students’ motorsport business helps top driver shine
TWO Fenland students are racing towards success after setting up their own motorsport business.
Rob Sykes, from Benwick, and Tom Harrison, from Ten Mile Bank, offer mechanical support to racing drivers through their company S&H Motorsport.
In their first year they have found themselves supporting Darcy Smith - a driver who is now close to winning a major national championship.
Rob, 20, said: “We wanted to set up an independent race car preparation business with the intention of it becoming a full-time job.
“We put an advert on a website and after three months we got an e-mail from a man who had bought a brand new Radical race car.”
You may also want to watch:
That man was Mr Smith, from Weston Super Mare, who is currently leading the British Racing and Sports Car Club open sports car series. He will compete at the final meeting at Donington Park in Derbyshire on October 20/21.
Rob and Tom both completed a BTEC Extended Diploma in Motorsport at the Isle Campus of the College of West Anglia, in Wisbech.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
They have helped Mr Smith prepare his car, ensuring it is race-ready for every competition in the series.
Tom, 19, is continuing his motorsport studies at Swansea University while Rob, after taking a gap year, has returned to the Isle Campus to do a part-time engineering course.