RAF Mildenhall ‘set to close’ as US government reveals plans to move assets to Germany
- Credit: Archant
RAF Mildenhall US Air Force Base is set to close as part of a sweeping reorganisation, according to reports.
The US military news outlet, Stars and Stripes, reports that the Suffolk base, home to the USAF special operations forces, refuelling tankers and 3,200 military personnel, will be moved to other locations such as Germany.
Meanwhile, two squadrons of F-35s will now be relocated to RAF Lakenheath by 2020.
The move will see RAF Mildenhall’s 352nd Special Operations Wing move to Germany.
Two other US facilities in the UK - RAF Alconbury and Molesworth, will also close. Most of their missions will move to RAF Croughton.
You may also want to watch:
A number of closures will also take place in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Italy and Portugal.
The Pentagon expects to save $500m a year from the consolidations, which have been under review for more than a year.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Will you be affected by the closure? E-mail reporter Daniel Mansfield on Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01353 665521.