Raft racers, entertainers and stallholders sought for Aquafest
Rafts and canoes will once again race down the River Ouse when Aquafest returns on July 6.
The Rotary Clubs of Ely, the event organisers, are looking for raft racers, entertainers and stallholders for this year’s 36th running of the event, which takes place on Lavender Green and Jubilee Gardens.
As well as the racing, there will be fairground rides, burger vans, beer tents and charity stalls.
An Aquafest spokesman said: “To be able to participate at this fun filled event, we are looking those who are interested to take part in raft racing, entertainment or stalls.
“Ideally it would be nice to have something different from previous years but all offers would be considered.”
You may also want to watch:
Aquafest was started by Stan Baker, with a small committee, and the first event was staged on July 16, 1978.
The idea was conceived by Stan following a visit to the Rotary Club of Axminster, in Devon, who were discussing their raft and canoe racing on the River Ax.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
Nowadays, a large committee of Rotarians arrange the day, with different members completing different jobs, and they work on the project for 10 months of the year beforehand.
For an application form, contact the event coordinator by e-mail at email@example.com