Rain and shine blamed for rough round the edges verges
BOUTS of heavy rain interspersed with sunshine has been blamed by Fenland District Council for the scruffy state of the grass verges in and around Wisbech.
Some of the patches of grass in the town had been getting a little long around the edges over the past few weeks causing residents to grow irate.
Grass fringes at Eastwood Cemetery, March, have also been allowed to grow particularly long, pictured, but a council spokesman said the mowers had been out today (Friday).
Lisa Lowe, of Wisbech, said: “Have you noticed the grass verges in and around Wisbech haven’t been cut for months?
“Wisbech looks a mess as it is without the verges looking like a wasteland.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman for Fenland District Council said: “We have got a little behind on our grass cutting, mainly as a result of the extraordinary amount of growth caused by the combination of a lot of rain interspersed with some warm weather.
“Also, a reduction in our funding from Cambridgeshire County Council has necessitated a slight drop in the number of times our contractors are able to mow.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“However, we are working hard to catch up and bring everything back to our normal high standards.”