Rainbow boxes are bringing creative fun for families with children suffering long term illness
- Credit: Archant
Fenland families with children suffering long term, debilitating illnesses, are being invited to apply for a free box of goodies to help them have fun getting creative together.
Box of Rainbows is a Fenland based idea that is funded by Healthy Fenland Fund and the High Sheriffs Award.
It delivers a free box of creative resources every month for six months.
Sarah Hall, programme manager, said: “The boxes give families the opportunity to play, be creative, and have a sensory experience, which we hope will enable them all to have lots of fun whilst spending precious time together making lots of valuable memories.
“We have already delivered boxes across the whole of Fenland and still have more to allocate.
You may also want to watch:
“We are appealing for your help to reach out to eligible families so they too can start to enjoy the benefits.”
“Many children experiencing long term debilitating illness do not have the same opportunities as other children.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“Their lives often involve hospital visit, continual medical treatments and poor health.
“Many lack opportunities for making personal choices, social inclusion and spending time with others to do fun activities and play.
“This has a negative impact on the mental health of many young people which isolates them further.”
The goodie boxes have a theme like bugs and beasts, fairy tales and summer at the seaside.
Typically a box includes a selection of craft kits, felt, fabrics, glue, coloured paper, card, cork, pipe cleaners, pom poms, wool and some creative ideas sheets to provide inspiration.
The Rainbow boxes are designed, picked and packed by volunteers from Fenland ReufulUK.