Driver peers out of Range Rover while trying to cross flooded Welney Wash
- Credit: Terry Harris
They’re not the first, probably unlikely to be the last, but motorists driving through flooded Welney Wash Road leave behind a mixed bag of responses.
Some villagers simply notch up another point or two in the annual contest for the unofficial ‘competition’ run by a local Facebook page.
Those taking part get a point for every car towed from the road, two extra points if it’s a van or lorry, and five points if the driver gives up and abandons their vehicle. For the latter you need photographic evidence.
Cruelly, competition entrants get an additional five points if a rescue vehicle sent out to recover a flooded car itself gets stuck.
British sense of humour aside, villagers remain on the whole angry that thoughtless drivers use up valuable emergency services time rescuing stranded motorists.
You may also want to watch:
“The road is still flooded and closed,” says the Welney Flood Watch group that is active each time the road is flooded.
“Find another route.”
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow
- 3 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 4 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 5 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 6 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 7 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 9 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 10 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
Although there was a small drop in river levels overnight, at 2.95m it is still classified very much as a road that is closed.