Rat infestation at empty March home to be tackled again after neighbours’ petition
ACTION against a rat infestation at an empty March home will be renewed after a petition was sent to Fenland District Council.
The infestation at 11B West End, March, was cleared by Fenland District Council last summer but returned just a few months later to the anger of neighbours.
A petition containing 27 signatures has been sent to the council, calling for renewed action at the home.
However, Fenland councillor Rob Skoulding, whose ward includes West End, said last night: “I have been to see the council’s environmental health team about getting it sorted.
“It is now on the case and is going to take action - some more rat boxes will be put along the river near pontoons.
You may also want to watch:
“I went for a walk down there at the weekend and some teenagers were talking about taking the bait out of the boxes whilst fishing.”
A copy of the petition, sent to this newspaper, said that complaints were lodged about the infestation in 2008, 2009, 2010 and last year.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
In July/August last year the council investigated, monitored and baited the land around the house after it was identified as the source of the problem - but it failed to gain entry.
A letter accompanying the petition said: “The pest control contractors, Elston Environmental Services, stated to the residents of the neighbouring properties affected that unless entry to the property was gained the rats would return.
“In November 2011 the rats returned - a new rat hole from the property, witnessed scurrying in/out of accumulations/deposits stored outside the property since July 2011 and dead baby rats on path to property.”