REACTION: Alan Melton delighted with Birch victory
FENLAND District Council leader Alan Melton was delighted with his margin of victory in Birch Ward.
“I’m delighted,” he said. “To be fair I’m ecstatic to get 54.7 per cent of the votes in the highest turnout ever in the ward.
“It is an overwhelming majority. It’s a proper majority because my increase in votes has gone up substantially.
“I see it as a vindication of all the hard work that I have done for my ward the town of Chatteris and as my work as leader of Fenland District Council.
“I was nervous because Christine is a very good candidate who has worked hard but I see this as a true vindication of what I have done.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Melton added: “Despite criticism levelled at me over the last four years I have been completely backed by the people that really count, and that is the voters. I will not let them down.”
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 5 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 6 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 7 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 8 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 9 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 10 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash