Reef Estates want to buy former Westgate Store in March and expand it
A PROPERTY company is set to acquire and re develop the former Westgate store in Station Road, March.
Reef Estates say they have exchanged contracts conditionally to buy the former Co-op owned store and plan a “substantial restoration” with first floor extension to the rear and side of the building.
The company has applied for planning consent to extent the building to “make the ground floor and first floor areas more useable. This will also help to create a more aesthetically pleasing appearance to the rear of the building by removing the existing dilapidated staircase.
It will be the second major acquisition by Reef in March, the company having bought the former freezer centre nearby five years ago. Their proposal for shops and flats on the site was rejected by Fenland Council and the site remains vacant.
However Reef is confident their plan for the former Westgate store will “enhance the existing run down building with a modern yet sensitive side extension”.
Recent developments by Reef include a 75 bed Premier Inn in the centre of Newmarket and a 28,000 square ft town centre retail development in Beccles, Suffolk
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward