Remembering Ormond with special planter
- Credit: Archant
A special planter is set to be unveiled in memory of Chatteris in Bloom stalwart Ormond Connolly.
Ormond, who died in May 2014, was a founder member of the town’s In Bloom group and was also a volunteer for the Chatteris Christmas Lights.
He was born and raised in Chatteris and put in many hours of work helping make the town look great over many years.
He died at the age of 66 after suffering a brain tumour.
In honour of his volunteer work and to create a lasting memorial Chatteris In Bloom has commissioned a special new planter for the town.
You may also want to watch:
Tina Prior, vice-chairman of Chatteris In Bloom, said: “This has been a huge project over many months, with fundraising and hours of planning. Finally we are pleased to be able to unveil this new planter.”
People will have their first chance to see it on Saturday May 21 at 13.45pm for an official unveiling at 2pm at the junctions of West Street and Clare Street.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
A large number of people have been invited to the event including Ormond’s family, friends and colleagues, as well as people who have helped with the project including: Stainless Metalcraft Ltd, and FACET, plus several fundraisers and local dignitaries.
Tina added: “This has been a massive project for CiB and one we are very proud of for a number of reasons.”