Renewed fame for retired Fenland baker as online cooking blogs prove big hit
A RETIRED baker is enjoying renewed fame after his cookery blogs on an online community website have proved a big hit.
Fred Barker, who is well known in Long Sutton after years of working for H.J Huggins, became on overnight hit with his blogs on the Shape Your Place website. Not only does he already have a big following but he’s also been getting regular visits from members of his ‘fan club’.
Deputy mayor of Wisbech, Councillor Jonathan Farmer, was the latest to visit Age UK’s Friday group at the Oasis Centre after hearing about Fred’s cookery capers. Cllr Farmer said: “It’s a pleasure to visit Fred and the other members. I urge people to get involved with the group.
“The older generation have some wonderful memories to share - and you get a great cup of coffee as well!”
Councillor Samantha Hoy also read one of Fred’s blogs on the website and got in touch to find out about joining in. She visited to join Fred as he spent another afternoon showing off his culinary expertise.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hoy said: “Fred’s cakes look absolutely lovely and it was a wonderful day. “Anyone who would like to come along and cook with Fred should definitely get in touch.”
For more information and how to get in touch with Age UK or any volunteering opportunities at the Oasis Centre please contact the Oasis Centre directly on 01945 461526.
- 1 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 2 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 3 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 4 'A crash waiting to happen' say police
- 5 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
- 6 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 7 ‘Shift well spent!’: Fen Cops target illegal motorists in day of action
- 8 Lorry driver makes a fundamental error at Fenland roundabout...
- 9 'Harassment' forces village speedwatch team to close
- 10 Tea rooms may become a bedsit
Fred’s frame is spreading as the colourful character has also taken to watercolour painting in recent weeks. To see his blogs visit: www.shapeyourplace.org