Rescue workers find man’s body after fire at a bungalow in Cambridgeshire village
A MAN has died in a house fire in a Cambridgeshire village.
The fire broke out in a bungalow in High Street, Upwood, near Ramsey, earlier today and the man’s body was found by emergency services called to the scene.
Police, fire and ambulance were called to the scene at 7.32am fire fighters in breathing apparatus entered the bungalow and discovered the body of a man.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said fire and police officers remained at the scene “to carry out a joint investigation to establish the cause of the fire. The fire was contained to the room it started”.
They had dealt with the fire by 8am but officers closed the High Street while they carry out their investigations.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbours said the house where the fire took place belonged to long-time Upwood resident Ivan Hempstead.
One person living in the High Street, who did not want to be named, said: “It is quite a shock.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
“It’s terribly sad and I hope we get a proper explanation about what happened.”
Another High Street resident said: “I can’t believe it. We’re all wondering what happened.”
Emergency crews included two rapid response cars an ambulance and MAGPAS Helimedix.
The East of England Ambulance Service was alerted to the High Street in Upwood, Ramsey at 7.37am.
Two rapid response cars, an ambulance and MAGPAS Helimedix attended the scene.
The Magpas Helimedix team of Doctor Darren Reid, Volunteer Paramedic Ryan Warwick and Magpas Trainee Doctor Nick Foster arrived via the Magpas Helimedix Air Ambulance.
A spokesman said: “Sadly a man was declared dead at the scene, our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.”
The helicopter team who flew the Magpas team to the scene was: Pilot Richard Boswell and Air Observer George Phillips.
An ambulance service spokesman said: “First and foremost our thoughts are with the patient’s family at this tragic time.”