Resident’s actions praised by firefighters as shed fire in Whittlesey causes minimal damage to two bungalows
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters praised the quick-thinking actions of a resident who ensured that two bungalows only suffered minimal damage in a shed blaze started by an electrical fault.
Fire crews from Whittlesey, Stanground and Dogsthorpe were called to Snoots Road, Whittlesey, shortly before 5pm on Saturday after a shed, located between the two bungalows, caught fire.
Station commander Jamie Johnson said: “The resident in one of the bungalows smelt something unusual and immediately went to investigate the smell. As soon as she found the fire she got herself to safety and called the fire service.”
The resident the other bungalow, in which two windows were blown, was on holiday at the time.
Firefighters were at the scene for more than two hours – they had all returned to their stations by 7.15pm.
You may also want to watch:
The shed and some fencing were destroyed, while damage to the bungalows was limited to the eaves and external fascias.
Mr Johnson said: “Combining this resident’s actions with the quick and efficient work of the firefighters, meant the fire did not spread to engulf the entirety of the bungalows but just caused minimal damage.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
“We would like to praise the actions of the resident and encourage others to take note of her quick-thinking actions.”