Residents flee after fire breaks out in bedroom in three storey Wisbech building
RESIDENTS of a three storey building in North Street, Wisbech, fled on Sunday afternoon after fire broke out in a bedroom.
Fire fighters from Wisbech, Outwell and West Walton were called to tackle the blaze shortly before 1.30pm.
A fire service spokesman said: “Everyone inside the three storey building had evacuated before firefighters arrived and had closed the bedroom door on the fire on their way out.
“Crews extinguished a fire in the bedroom on the third floor using one hose reel.
“They returned to their fire station by 2.30pm”.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman said the cause of the fire was accidental and is thought to have been caused by the electrics.
Howard Newton, firefighter at Wisbech Fire Station said: “Fortunately everyone had left the building as soon as they were aware of the fire, and they also closed doors behind them. This starves the fire of oxygen and helped to stop the fire from spreading.
- 1 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 2 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 7 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
“This is also why it is a good idea to keep internal doors closed at night, so that if a fire does occur it is less likely to spread to other rooms.”