Residents flee after fire breaks out in bedroom in three storey Wisbech building

RESIDENTS of a three storey building in North Street, Wisbech, fled on Sunday afternoon after fire broke out in a bedroom.

Fire fighters from Wisbech, Outwell and West Walton were called to tackle the blaze shortly before 1.30pm.

A fire service spokesman said: “Everyone inside the three storey building had evacuated before firefighters arrived and had closed the bedroom door on the fire on their way out.

“Crews extinguished a fire in the bedroom on the third floor using one hose reel.

“They returned to their fire station by 2.30pm”.


You may also want to watch:


The spokesman said the cause of the fire was accidental and is thought to have been caused by the electrics.

Howard Newton, firefighter at Wisbech Fire Station said: “Fortunately everyone had left the building as soon as they were aware of the fire, and they also closed doors behind them. This starves the fire of oxygen and helped to stop the fire from spreading.

Most Read

“This is also why it is a good idea to keep internal doors closed at night, so that if a fire does occur it is less likely to spread to other rooms.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter