RESULT AND REACTION: Florence Newell retains Slade Lode seat
A MASSIVE roar erupted around the Hudson Leisure Centre when Florence Newell beat long-time rival Chris Howes and retained Slade Lode for the Conservatives.
Cllr Newell polled 301 votes for the Conservatives compared to Mr Howes’ 206 to retain the seat she won in a 2006 by-election.
A tearful Cllr Newell said after her win: “That meant a lot to me. I really do fight very hard for Chatteris.
“I shouldn’t but I have got worried about who would do what I do. I want to do another four years to complete what I have started.
“I am halfway there for leisure in Chatteris. I need the swimming pool and then I will have done my bit. I have worked so hard for this swimming pool. My colleagues think they might throw me in if we get it.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m so thankful for all the support I have got. It has renewed my faith in human nature.”
- 1 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 2 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 3 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 4 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 7 Hancock admits QEH 'in serious need of improvement' but makes no promises
- 8 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 9 Floral tributes laid for ‘amazing brother’ killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 10 Cannabis factory uncovered in Fen village
Chris Howes (Liberal Democrat) 206
Florence Newell (Conservative) 301
Grant Osbourn (Labour) 140
TURNOUT: 32.23 per cent