RESULT AND REACTION: Florence Newell retains Slade Lode seat
A MASSIVE roar erupted around the Hudson Leisure Centre when Florence Newell beat long-time rival Chris Howes and retained Slade Lode for the Conservatives.
Cllr Newell polled 301 votes for the Conservatives compared to Mr Howes’ 206 to retain the seat she won in a 2006 by-election.
A tearful Cllr Newell said after her win: “That meant a lot to me. I really do fight very hard for Chatteris.
“I shouldn’t but I have got worried about who would do what I do. I want to do another four years to complete what I have started.
“I am halfway there for leisure in Chatteris. I need the swimming pool and then I will have done my bit. I have worked so hard for this swimming pool. My colleagues think they might throw me in if we get it.
“I’m so thankful for all the support I have got. It has renewed my faith in human nature.”
- 1 Village shop hit by ram raiders
- 2 F1 fan Magdalena bids to land 'once in a lifetime' chance
- 3 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 4 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 5 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 6 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 7 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 8 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 9 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 10 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
Chris Howes (Liberal Democrat) 206
Florence Newell (Conservative) 301
Grant Osbourn (Labour) 140
TURNOUT: 32.23 per cent