Reward offered to help catch motorcyclist who vandalised March Town Cricket Club pitches
- Credit: Archant
March Town Cricket Club are offering free membership and a reward to help catch the motor bike rider who has vandalised the outfield and pitch last week at The Avenue Sports Ground, Burrowmoor Road, March.
Numerous tyre marks have suddenly appeared on the outfield and to the edge of the main cricket surface, causing severe damage for the first time in the club’s history.
The outfield is used during the winter months as junior football pitches by the March Town Athletic Football Club on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Both the larger pitches used by the boys and girls teams have also been damaged.
The cricket square is fenced off by metal stakes and a rope in winter after the end of season renovations. The motor cyclist removed some of the metal stakes and rope to leave circles across two of the pitches.
March Town Cricket Club Chairman Les Mills stated: “It is very disappointing that someone can go to so much trouble to damage a local sports club’s facilities.
“We are run by volunteers and the ground is used by many of the local community including a great number of youngsters.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 9 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
“This incident is going to cost the club several hundreds of pounds to put right.”
Cambridgeshire Police are investigating the incident and anyone with any information should call 01480 456111 or call the club on 01354 652029.