Tributes to ‘utterly devoted’ parents after fatal collision on A142 in Fens
- Credit: Archant
Tributes have been paid to two “utterly devoted” parents who died after a head-on collision in Fenland last night (September 3).
The crash involved a Ford Focus and an Iveco Daily van and took place on the A142 between Chatteris and Mepal just after 8pm.
Emergency services attended but the man driving the Ford Focus and his wife, who was one of the rear passengers, died at the scene.
The couple have now been named by police as Robert Bateman, 36 and known as Bob, and his wife Paula Bateman, 35, of Westfield Road, Manea, March.
The pair’s two daughters, Lexi, aged 10, and 18-month old Elizabeth, were also in the car.
You may also want to watch:
It was initially thought that both girls, who were taken to hospital, suffered minor injuries.
However, further hospital checks revealed that Lexi suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
Both girls have since been discharged from hospital.
In a statement, Bob and Paula’s family said: “We are utterly devastated by this news.
“Bob and Paula were much-loved friends to many and will be missed by everyone who knew them.
“They were also utterly devoted parents. Bob was a much-loved son and father, while Paula was a much-loved daughter, sister and mother.”
The van driver suffered minor injuries. The 32-year-old man from Lincoln was subsequently arrested on suspicion of two counts of causing death by dangerous driving, and driving whilst unfit through drink or drugs.
He remains in custody at Thorpe Wood Police Station this afternoon.
Anyone who saw the collision or the vehicles in the lead up to it, or has dash cam footage, is urged to contact police via web chat or by calling 101, quoting incident number 478 of September 3.